Saturday, November 7, 2009

Frida Kahlo

I selected Frida Kahlo as my artist.

Frida Kahlo was a famous painter in the 1920's, who was married to Diego Riviera. She made many paintings using lots of vibrant colored oil paints. Her paintings were usually self-portraits that reflected upon the pain in her life. Kahlo suffered from Polio as a child, and was gravely injured in a bus accident, and both of these events in her life were expressed in her work. She died in 1954.

I selected one of her self portraits (seen in the link below) to represent Latin America. This painting shows her passion for the wildlife of Latin America (the monkey and jungle cat). The plant leafs also represent the vegetation of Latin America, because it is mostly rain forest. Frida Kahlo experienced many hardships in her life (such as Polio) and her painting can represent perseverance in hard situations in Latin American life today.

http://fullmoonfever.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/460px-frida_kahlo_self_portrait.jpg

Reflection: The past two weeks have been very hectic and chaotic with the 6 weeks ending. So it was filled with lots of homework, tests, and soccer. So I had very little free time, and I am SOOO thankful for this 3 day weekend.

I also had a debate tournament this weekend, and it was my first time to compete in varsity debate. (I had to go up against experienced debaters..like seniors). I lost..every single one of my rounds. BUT, it was okay. I was proud of my self for trying, and it was definitely a learning experience, because I learned a lot about how the debate world works and what I need to improve on to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment